Recent comments

Bagels are always difficult to get rid of. They go stale and they become hard to eat. I worked at a bagel place myself and we ran in to the same issues with giving the bagels away.

But I think that we could try it out anyway. Is there a good time for your friend? I know that I could easily get the bagels on Tuesday around 4pm. If we can get more than bagels then I could justify the extra drive on a Sunday morning, maybe around 11ish?

Talk to your friend and see what they can do. Thanks!

Reply to: Bagels *7 years 29 weeks ago

Hey All,

Today I helped out at the veggie table and did my best to share grapes, apples, peaches, tomatoes, and bananas with everyone. We had a pretty good flow going on and filled bags for everybody there. The community members are staring to get the hang of things. I think the more we stick to our word and help one person at a time, then we will begin to hear less complaints. I haven't been with FnB too long but I remember days of yelling and screaming as we saturated the crowd with one or two types of food stuffs at a time. Starting a new type of food meant the whole process over again. Now I can ask "Anything else?", see a very happy person with a bag full of groceries simply say "No thanks" as they step away from the table, and know that we have enough good stuff for everyone.

More concise thoughts to follow. I'm still getting the hang of expanding an idea and getting to a point. I hope my readers will feel free to comment and get some conversations going.

Reply to: My Long Island experience *7 years 29 weeks ago

Hi Long Island, wan't to screen a documentary about Food not Bombs? It's about a half hour long. email me at alchemicalmedia@yahoo.com or visit alchemicalmedia.com. I'm hoping to get FNB groups to take a look and talk about it.

Thanks

Reply to: New Long Island Food Not Bombs Chapter --- Farmingville!!! *7 years 30 weeks ago

There has been no problems whatsoever since that first night in Farmingville. It has grown into a very beautiful food share, with a tremendous amount of food and lots of young families coming by and so much support from the community. I am privileged and honored to be a part of it.

Reply to: Discussions & Thoughts: Conflict at the First Farmingville Food Share *7 years 32 weeks ago

bring a video camera to record the day on Thurs. Don't hesitate to call police, if SQL tries to cause trouble, because the cops know them well and do not like them. --mo

Reply to: Discussions & Thoughts: Conflict at the First Farmingville Food Share *7 years 34 weeks ago

Did Margaret Brancuilli return the two bags of groceries she put in her car after she protesth so loudly and obnoxiously or did she take the food home? She needs to eat a lot less than she does now so maybe she figured she would be helped on her diet by taking vegan food.

Be careful these Minimen & women are very well practiced in meanness. Don't be surprised if they come up with all their members and try to take all of your food so the "illegals" can't get any. Better to starve them they believe.

You might ask Nadia Marin or Mattie to come by the first few times, because they will recognize all the SQL people. --mo

Editors Note:

The comment that was originally posted here on July 9th, was deleted by the moderators. It was not deleted for commentary on the Dolan Family Health Center. It was deleted because of racist and offensive remarks made by the author.

The author who's IP address traces back to Rochester, NY some 400 miles from Huntington stated that if one were to go to the health center that they catch "communicable diseases from those who enter our country illegally."

Again, the above statement is why the comment was deleted. Long Island Food Not Bombs does not believe that any human being could be illegal, we all have a right to live. We also feel like these statements were extremely racist.

Reply to: Dolan Family Health Center *7 years 36 weeks ago

Best Yet in Shirley will be donating food this Thursday for Famingville. I don't know if he realized this is a weekly pick up so I will talk to him further when I pick up the food. The only thing they throw out is produce, everything else goes back for credit.
Peace!
Karen Sackett

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 38 weeks ago

Went to Trader Joe's today on my lunch break, met with the main manager there, Todd. He was very nice. Asked if we have a way of refrigerating food, because the soup kitchens that he gives to, doesn't have a refrigerator. I told him yes. Todd said he would be willing to rotate the Trader Joe's donations and give to us on the days the other organizations don't get food. So we will see if he calls.
Also, I spoke with George, from the Home Depot in Jericho. George said that they don't throw any plants out, because they actually purchase them and whatever doesn't sell, they send back and get refunds. I don't know if I believe that, but anyway, he said that if I bring in a letter, on the Food Not Bombs letterhead, asking for plant donations for our community garden, they would give us donations.
rose

Reply to: Long Island Food Not Bomb: New Chapter Meeting Minutes - June 10th, 2009 *7 years 39 weeks ago

Hey everybody, it's Jonathan again.

In answer to Jon's question, H.O.G. had agreed to be able to donate food on Fridays pretty regularly, as well as Mondays and Wednesdays but on a more infrequent basis. I'm still confirming the sites where they drop off food, then we'll figure out who'd be willing/able to pick up from where.

Hobbs I still need to talk to. I know the folks there face to face, but I've been too busy lately to go back around there and finalize anything. It seems that most of the food they have there though they're still growing (lots of late-season stuff).

I've gotten a confirmation from St. James Natural Foods, but they say they can only give on an infrequent basis. Still waiting to hear from T.J's and Wild By Nature, as well as the farmer's market organizing woman (I plan on calling and bothering her again soon).

That's it for now. I'll be sure to try to contact you folks more regularly, pretty busy with classes, but I'm still fishing around for different places that might be willing to donate (oh, I also got a maybe from the folks over at Garden of Eve out in Riverhead, who do drop-offs all around the island, still need to call the owner to find out).

Be well,
Jonathan

ps. I'm not sure who posted it, but I'd be interested in dumpster diving some time. Email me if anybody's still into it.

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 39 weeks ago

I went to the Hamlet Garden website and pick ups are Wed & Fri 3:30-6:30pm. If okay, I'd like to pick up here for Farmingville.
I noticed this on their site:
"Just a reminder that balances were due at the end of May. If you have not paid you balance, please do so today! You can give it to your pickup coordinator or mail it to..."
I am not sure what this means as I believe we are looking for free food?
Hope this post doesn't sound too ignorant.
Thanks! Really looking forward to this!
Karen

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 40 weeks ago

Just wanted to give the news as quick as possible about what happened in court on the 11th. 123 was set a trial date for June 25th(will confirm this date later asap). There will be more information up soon.

Reply to: Help Save the 123 Community Space! *7 years 40 weeks ago

hey all, i was wondering if any one would be down for dumpstering and exploring our area some time this week. in preparation for the kick off of the farmingville food share i thought it might be helpful to have some spots doped out in advance. i know its kinda short notice but if we went tomorrow i thought we'd be able to bring what we got down to the fine folks in huntington. lets say around 7pm or so we could meet at... any suggestions?

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 40 weeks ago

The Food Share will be near the intersection of granny rd and horse block rd, more details and fliers should be posted on the site by Monday or Tuesday.

Reply to: Long Island Food Not Bomb: New Chapter Meeting Minutes - June 10th, 2009 *7 years 40 weeks ago

Jonathan, this is great work. Did Hobbs or Hamlet give you a day/s for weekly pickups?

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 40 weeks ago

Awesome, this spot sounds like a great place to start. I'll add the Food Share to the site in the next few days.

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 40 weeks ago

ok so i tried to post this last night but lost my network... oh well.
alright, so i headed down in to farmingville to scope out that spot we had all talked about. the one located on the corner of granny rd and horse block rd. it is just north of the farmingville fire house. well it turns out to be more of a triangle then the square i had thought it was, which is cool ( i like triangles Ha). any way, im fairly certain that this would make a pretty rad spot. there are a few benches and a couple of tress also a small parking lot located on the north side. it is right in the heart of the town and has great visibility. you can get a look at it by using google maps and switching in to satellite mode just enter the the two cross streets above. .... let me know if this spot works for you all. if not ill go exploring again.

dan

Reply to: Food Sources: Locations, Ideas, Etc. *7 years 40 weeks ago

Hi everyone, I had to leave before the end of the meeting, so...yeah. I would be willing to do any flyering, picking up the food the day of the food share, and of course actually being there that evening. So if anyone has the info about WHERE the food will be picked up from, or if there is some kind of format for the flyer, I'd appreciate that. Thanks :)

Val

Hey everyone, the agenda for this afternoons meeting is now on the site, you can check it out here.

Reply to: Help Create a New LIFNB Chapter in Eastern Long Island. *7 years 41 weeks ago

You will be blessed. Worthwhile efforts rarely go un-noticed, or have no positive effect.

May you be blessed by GOOD!

John L. Settles

Reply to: Discussion & Thoughts - Mirschel Park Community Gardening Project *7 years 41 weeks ago

It was a pleasure to work on the gardening project, can't wait to see the flowers! Good cooperation, and many congratulations to all involved. Brian O.

Reply to: Discussion & Thoughts - Mirschel Park Community Gardening Project *7 years 42 weeks ago

This looks so great you guys - congrats! I can't wait to come out in a couple of weeks and see the beautiful flowers. Hopefully we can get some similar good stuff started here in Brooklyn shortly.
Sarah

Is there a certain area in Farmingville that you are thinking about?

Reply to: Farmingville Chapter *7 years 50 weeks ago

I'M PSYCHED!
are you?

Reply to: Announcing the 3rd Annual NYC Anarchist Book Fair! 4-11-2009 *7 years 51 weeks ago